Fabric flowers have so many uses. Attach them to hair clips, brooch backs and even necklaces. These round petal DIY fabric flowers will only take you a few minutes to make and are easy for even beginners.
DIY Fabric Flowers: The Video
Please watch this 2-minute video on making these flowers. You will see just how easy it is.
DIY Fabric Flowers: Supplies
- 6 circles of fabric. As a general rule, the flowers end up the same finished diameter as your circles. So a 3 inch (7.5cm) diameter circle will result in a 3 inch finished flower.
- Thick thread and a hand needle. I like to use upholstery thread.
- Buttons or beads to decorate
- 1 inch felt or fabric circle for the back
- Hot glue gun to attach the felt and buttons
DIY Fabric Flowers: Instructions
Step 1: Press
Press your circles in half with WRONG sides together
Step 2: Stitch
Using a small running stitch (up and down stitch), sew around the curved raw edges of your semi-circle.
Step 3: Pull
Pull the thread through and gather up the petal. Leave a 3 inch (7.5cm) tail of thread that you can use later to knot off.
Step 4: Repeat
Repeat for the other petals. If your fabric is really thick you may find that you only need 5 petals instead of the 6.
Step 5: Tie
Pull tight and tie the ends of the thread in a double knot. Knot again just to doubly make sure it won’t come undone.
Step 6: Glue
Glue your felt circle on the back of the flower to hide the messy center.
Step 7: Finish
Glue a bead or button to the front of the flower. Buttons with a shank work well as you can nestle it in the hole in the middle.
Here are the steps photographed for you. Enjoy your DIY fabric flowers. You can now glue your flower or sew your flower to necklaces, clothing, hair accessories, brooches and anything else you can think of.
Thanks for reading 🙂