You have put so much thought into choosing the gift, so why not learn how to make a felt gift bag that shows how much you care. Christmas is just around the corner and it is time to start thinking about pretty handmade packaging for your gifts. This DIY felt gift bag is simple to make and will only take you a short time.
- How to Make a DIY Felt Gift Bag
- DIY Felt Gift Bag | The Video
- How to Make a DIY Felt Gift Bag | Instructions
- PIN IMAGE FOR LATER 🙂
- More Bags - Fabric Gift Bags
- More Projects to Make from Felt
- DIY Felt Gift Bag
How to Make a DIY Felt Gift Bag
- FELT - Stiff acrylic felt works the best as it holds the gift bag's shape nicely. The pattern will fit on a 9 x 12 inch (23 x 30.5cm) piece of craft felt. Felt can also be purchased by the yard (meter) if you wish to scale your template up.
- VELCRO - ½ inch (12mm) square piece of Velcro - It is easy to just cut down a larger piece to size.
- PATTERN - Your printable pattern - This pattern makes a gift bag that is W 3" xH 3 ½" x D 2 ¼" (7.5x9x5.7cm). You can easily use a photocopier to make it smaller or larger.
Read more about what is felt.
Gift Bag Template
Start by downloading and printing your pattern.>>DOWNLOAD PATTERN
This will open a separate window with the PDF to save. Once saved, open in Adobe Reader and print with a 100% scale. Trim around the boxes and sticky tape the pattern together in 2 rows so the flap joins to the body.
If you are new to printing PDF patterns, read my tutorial on how to print PDF patterns.
DIY Felt Gift Bag | The Video
Watch this short video I made for you, showing you the whole process of how to make a DIY felt gift bag. Subscribe to my YouTube channel for weekly craft and sewing videos.
How to Make a DIY Felt Gift Bag | Instructions
Step 1: Cut the Felt
Cut one piece of felt for your body and one piece for your flap lining. You can use the same colored felt or contrast for a smart accent.
Step 2: Attach the Velcro
Pull your Velcro apart and stitch one piece on the RIGHT side of the body and the other side on the RIGHT side of the flap lining in the position marked on your pattern piece.
(Tip: Patterned felt will often have a right and a wrong side, while plain felt may be the same on both sides. )
Step 3: Sew the Flap
Place the flap lining with the RIGHT side up on the WRONG side of the body, matching the flap edges.
Stitch around the lining close to the edge. I used a green thread so you could see the stitching, but I think it looks nicer if you match the thread color on the top and bottom.
Further Reading: How to sew felt
Step 4: Trim the Flap
Trim around the edge of the flap to neaten the edges.
Step 5: Sew the Body
Fold your body with RIGHT sides together so the sides match and stitch along either side.
Step 6: Box the Corners
Fold your bottom corners so the edges match and stitch across. This creates what is called a box bottom. Trim across the seam to neaten it.
Step 7: Turn
Turn your bag the RIGHT way out and it is all ready for decorating!
Step 8: Decorate
Here I used a cute double bow and stitched it on the flap. If you are making a few of these gift bags you may find it faster to use a hot glue gun to stick the bows on the flap.
Further Reading: How to Make Ribbon Bows
You could also decorate using embroidery, felt flowers, sequins or any other decoration you can think of. These felt gift bags are great for birthday presents too.
Now you know how to make a gift bag, here are some tutorials for decorations.
PIN IMAGE FOR LATER 🙂
More Bags - Fabric Gift Bags
I'm assuming you probably have more than one present to wrap, so why not make more gift bags. Fabric gift bags are a great way to use up your scrap fabric accumulated throughout the year.
This tutorial will show you how to make a gift bag from fabric in 4 different sizes. Best of all, you can use the same method to make bags of any size.
More Projects to Make from Felt
DIY Felt Gift Bag
- Sewing machine
- Cut the felt according to the downloaded pattern
- Attach the velcro. On piece on the right side of the body and the other on the irght side of the flap lining.
- Sew the flap lining with the right side up on the wrong side of the body.
- Trim the flap.
- Fold the body with right sides together and stitch the sides.
- Fold the bottom corners, so the edges match and stitch.
- Turn the bag the right way out and decorate.