DIY pom poms are fun to make for kids and adults alike. The traditional method of how to make pom poms uses cardboard rings which you wrap the yarn around. But did you know there is a faster and easier way to make pom poms without any fancy tools? Use your fingers!
Today we’re going to learn how to make super-fast hand pom poms.
DIY POM POMS – Methods
There are 3 main methods to make DIY pom poms
Here I will show you how to make DIY pom poms with your fingers. Click on the links below if you would like to learn about the other methods.
- With your fingers – this is the fastest method and the way I will show you to do it in this article.
- With a fork – making pom poms – makes tiny little cute pom poms
- With cardboard rings – how to make pom poms – slowest method but gives more control and better to mix colors.
DIY Pom Poms – Supplies
To make finger pom poms you will need –
- YARN – I used 8 ply (DK) and 12ply for my samples but any thickness will work. You can also try crochet yarn for a modern trendy look. The thicker the yarn, the fewer times you will need to wind it around your hand.
That’s a nice short supply list, isn’t it?
DIY Pom Poms: The Video
Here is a video I made for you on making these quick DIY pom poms.
Enjoy and make sure you subscribe to my YouTube channel for weekly sewing and craft videos.
DIY Pom Poms – Instructions
Step 1 – Secure the End
Take the end of the yarn and tuck it between your two fingers to keep it from unraveling. Remember not to let go as you start wrapping.
Step 2 – Start Wrapping
Then wrap the yarn around 3 or 4 fingers leaving the thumb free. The number of fingers you wrap around will determine the size of the finished pom pom.
Wrap loosely as you will find it gets tighter and tighter the more times you wrap. You need to be able to get the loops off your hand in the next step.
If you need to make multiple pom poms the same, then count the number of times you wrap it around your hand.
Step 3 – Remove the Yarn
When you are happy with the volume, take the yarn carefully off your hand. Make sure it all stays neatly together. If it comes off in a mess, that means you wrapped too tight. Try again wrapping a little looser.
Step 4 – Tie the Center
Take a 6 inch (15cm) piece of wool and wrap it around the center of the DIY pom poms a couple of times.
Pull very tight and tie a knot.
Cut the ends of the center string. Alternatively, leave the ends long if you want to attach it to a clutch or purse or knitted hat.
Step 5 – Shape and Cut
Fluff up your DIY pom poms and trim the ends to shape.
All done! Happy, fluffy DIY pom poms.
DIY Pom Poms – In Conclusion
I hope you enjoyed this quick and easy method to make DIY pom poms. Please check out my other pom pom articles
- Pom Pom Pillows – learn how to use pom pom trim around easy to make envelope style pillows
- Mini Pom Poms – make mini pom poms with a fork
- Cardboard Pom Poms – includes printable templates
- Sewing PomPom Trim – how to sew trim around corners and in seams
What will you use your DIY pom poms for? Share in the comments.