DIY pom poms are fun to make for kids and adults alike. The traditional method of how to make pom poms uses cardboard rings which you wrap the yarn around. But did you know there is a faster and easier way to make pom poms without any fancy tools? Use your fingers!
Today we’re going to learn how to make super fast hand pom poms.
DIY Pom Poms: Supplies
What you will need:
- Yarn. I used 8 ply (DK) and 12ply for my samples but any thickness will work. You can also try crochet yarn for a modern trendy look.
- Your hand
That’s a nice short supply list, isn’t it?
DIY Pom Poms: The Video
Here is a video I made for you 🙂 Enjoy! Make sure you subscribe to my YouTube channel for weekly sewing and craft videos.
DIY Pom Poms: Instructions
- Take the end of the yarn and tuck it between your two fingers to keep it from unraveling. Remember not to let go as you start wrapping.
- Then wrap the yarn around your 4 fingers leaving the thumb free. If you need to make multiple pom poms the same, then count the number of times you wrap it around your hand.
- When you are happy with the volume, take the yarn carefully off your hand. Make sure it all stays neatly together.
- Take a 6 inch (15cm) piece of wool and wrap it the center around a couple of time. Pull very tight and tie a knot.
- Cut the ends of the center piece. Alternatively, leave the ends long if you want to attach it to a clutch or purse or knitted hat.
- Fluff up your DIY pom poms and trim it to shape if necessary.
All done! Happy, fluffy DIY pom poms.
What will you use your DIY pom poms for? Share in the comments.