The 18-inch doll blanket pattern is just perfect for putting the final touches on your doll bedding. You can make different options with a variety of scraps put together. Added to that, extra blankets can double as a picnic blanket. You never know when the next ‘’Teddy bear’s picnic” is coming up!
Doll Blanket Pattern
Today we will learn how to finish your doll bedding with a cute doll blanket pattern. This is part 4 of my DIY doll bedding series.
See all the tutorials in my free doll bedding sewing pattern series
- PART 1 – Free Doll Pillow Pattern
- PART 2 – Free Doll Pillowcase Pattern – 2 styles
- PART 3 – Free Doll Mattress Sewing Pattern
- PART 4 – Free Doll Blanket Sewing Pattern
Doll Blanket Pattern – Supplies
What you need
- FABRIC – Cotton Quilting Fabric – For this doll blanket you can use 2 fat quarters or just cut 2 pieces of fabric that are 18″ x 22″ (46cm x 56cm)
- BASICS – Needle and Thread
- TRIM – Lace or trim to decorate
- FLEECE – Fleece to give the blanket some thickness and body. You could also substitute a quilting batting (wadding) or even a scrap of any thick soft fabric such as flannelette.
Doll Blanket Pattern – Instructions
STEP 1 – Baste the Fleece
On the WRONG side of one of the fabric pieces, baste the fleece or batting close to the edges.
You can do this with your machine on the longest straight stitch (normally 4.0) or by hand with a running stitch.
STEP 2 – Stitch the Front and Back
Put your fabric pieces RIGHT sides together and stitch around the edges with a 1/4 inch (6mm) seam allowance.
Leave a 2 inch (5cm) gap on one of the shorter sides.
STEP 3 – Clip
Clip the corners being careful not to cut the stitching.
STEP 4 – Turn and Press
Turn the blanket the right way out through the gap and give it a good press.
Hand stitch the gap closed using an invisible ladder stitch.
STEP 5 – Quilting Stitching
To give your doll blanket pattern some texture, stitch some quilting lines down it.
Start in the middle and stitch every 2 inches (5cm).
STEP 6 – Decorate
Add some lace along one side and you are all done!
Here is what my finished doll blanket pattern looks like.
More Doll Patterns
The pillows and mattress are part of my free bedding series. Shop for an 18 inch doll pajama sewing pattern to go with all your new doll bedding.
I also have more free doll clothing patterns