For those who love bringing their love for nature into their quilting projects, these free flower quilt patterns will be an absolute delight. Floral patterns on quilts can be so charming in your living space. Whether your interior decor choices are bold and vibrant solids or elegant pastels, floral quilt patterns will complement them both equally well. That is the beauty of floral quilts, not only do they blend in so well with their surroundings but they serve as beautiful accent pieces too.
Flower Quilt Patterns Tutorial
Are you ready to sew your first flower quilt pattern yet? Start with one of the floral applique quilt patterns; they're fun and customizable! If this isn't your first flower quilt, you can jump straight to the more detailed patterns. You'll surely find your new favorite in this list of flower quilt patterns.
How to Make a Flower Quilt in 6 Easy Steps
All patterns vary in detail, but here are the basic steps in making a flower quilt.
- Design and Plan Your Quilt: Choose a flower quilt pattern. This could be appliqué flowers, patchwork flowers, or printed floral fabric.
- Prewash Your Fabric: Wash, dry, and iron your fabrics to prevent shrinkage after your quilt is made and to remove any wrinkles.
- Sew the Flower Blocks: If your design involves appliqué, apply the flower shapes to the background fabric and sew. After, sew the flower quilt blocks.
- Assemble the Quilt Top: Arrange your flower blocks according to your design plan and sew them together into a larger piece.
- Quilt Layers Together: Create a "quilt sandwich" by laying out the backing fabric, the batting, and the quilt top. Quilt the layers by hand or machine. You can follow the outlines of the flowers or do an overall quilting pattern.
- Bind the Quilt: Trim the excess batting and backing fabric and then bind the edges.
Don't hesitate to experiment with colors, patterns, and quilting designs!
27 Flower Quilt Patterns
1. Pixelated Rose Quilt Patterns
Enjoy these pixelated roses on your quilt with this gorgeous quilting pattern. You will assemble your quilt in up to 30 blocks and some precut strips labeled from A to K. Each block is made of 6 by 6 squares, while each strip contains 6 squares each, and the alphanumeric labeling will help with the arrangement. Patterns from Riley Blake Designs
2. Summer Flower Quilt
Spruce up the favorite corner of your house with this stunning Split-Rail Summer Flower Quilt. Although the pattern seems intricate, it’s much fun to create. The glorious, mottled blues and greens will make your mind travel to a lush green meadow bejeweled with glistening water. Patterns from All People Quilt
3. Tulip Quilt Pattern
The Tulip Quilt Block is such a lovely and unique pattern that you’ll want to start quilting immediately! This would make a thoughtful present for avid gardeners. You can use it as a pillow cover or table runner or sew multiple blocks together to create a bigger quilt. It would make a lovely lap throw, too. Patterns from Center Street Quilts
4. Lotus Flower Quilt Block
The Lotus Quilt Block is a total stunner! This glorious fall-themed quilt block features autumn blossoms, so you can enjoy it whenever it’s chilly outside. One can’t help but FALL (pun intended) in love with the tasteful, autumnal hues of yellows, oranges, and browns. Patterns from Stitched in Color
5. Tulip Applique Flower Quilt
Add some life to your place with this gorgeous floral quilt. It features rickrack stems and stunning tulip appliqués topped off with hearts. It’s a lovely combination of designs and colors to make the kind of simple piecing that stands out. Use it as a throw for your couch or a quilt for your bed. Patterns All People Quilt
6. The Fan Flower Quilt
7. Folk Art Floral Quilt Pattern
What an elegant and modern piece of art. Create a pleasing quilt to grace your couch. It would make a gorgeous wall hanging too. For this, you will be using the freezer-paper appliqué and paper-piecing techniques. Beginners can enjoy first-time success with this fabulous folk-art style. Patterns from All People Quilt
8. Flower Applique Quilt Pattern
Don’t you love flower quilting patterns filled with the sweet nostalgia of a vintage style? The Sweet Nosegay Flower Applique Quilt is one such pattern loaded up to the brim with floral details. This simple applique quilt’s soft pastel florals and olive green and lavender prints spell spring. Patterns from All People Quilt
9. Daisy Flower Quilt
Daisy quilt patterns are a beautiful choice for spring and summer or for the whole year if you are crazy about all things floral. This pattern requires some oversized blooms that are appliqued onto the fabric. This pattern features an all-over leaf design that complements the daisy appliques. Patterns from Fave Quilts
10. Free Motion Flower Quilting
It doesn’t get simpler than the Free Motion Curvy Flower Pattern. The pattern involves freestyle tracing of flowers and then sewing and quilting as you go. The tutorial video also shows you how to draw a cartoon-style pattern with curves, loops, and bubbles. Patterns from Happy Quilting Melissa
11. Garden Flower Picnic Quilt
The Garden District Picnic Quilt is like a garden within your living area. Carry it around for all your spring and summertime picnics. Add fresh flowers, candles, and home-baked goodies to munch on and appreciate your beautiful quilt. Patterns from Fave Quilts
12. Fabric Flowers Quilt
The Painting Flowers Quilt is such a fresh summer quilt pattern that you can’t just scroll past it without being awestruck. This quilt pattern can work with any fabric, but it is best to get a soft and durable fabric that can last. Flower quilt patterns from Tilda's World
13. Pink Posy Table Quilt
Decorate your dining space with the beauty of spring flowers with this breathtaking Pretty Pink Posy Table Topper. It is a wonderful project for quilters who want to use their skills to spruce up their homes. This block pattern features a posy with 2 leaves and a bright golden center. Patterns from Quiltscapes
14. Origami Flower Quilt Block
This one’s a treat for all origami lovers. This pattern is much more fun than the usual flower quilting patterns as it involves a three-dimensional flower block. You can use the single block as a cushion cover top or stitch multiple blocks into a quilt. Patterns from Teresa Down Under
15. Flower Quilt Block Pattern
This Carolina Flower Quilt Block makes such a lovely square. Its design is a lovely combination of applique and the traditional quilting method of piecing and sewing different fabric pieces together. If you are looking for a more traditional flower quilt, then you just might like this. Patterns from It happens in a Blink
16. Quilt Along Pattern
Try the Serendipity Quilt Along pattern for an intricate flower design. Featuring a basket of flowers and a floral border. The beauty of the muted hues will align perfectly with any contemporary interior. This is best suited to someone with advanced quilting skills. Patterns from I Love Quilting Forever
17. The Secret Garden Flower Quilt
Spruce up your bedroom with some nature-inspired beauty! The Secret Garden Quilt Design uses the Trapunto method to make gorgeous appliqued patterns. The Quilt design features flowers, a snail, birds, ladybugs, and other eye-catching details symbolic of the spring season. Patterns from Craft Passion
18. Back Porch Blooms Flower Quilt Pattern
A great quilt pattern for beginners - both the pattern and the quilting are simple. However, if you have more advanced skills, follow the guidelines for adding the scalloped border. Patterns from Podunk Pretties
19. Spring Flowers Quilt Pattern
If your heart longs for the moderately cool days of spring, then whip up the Spring Flowers Quilt for your bedroom. This quilt features a cheerful and vibrant design with a wonderful dose of color! You need an intermediate skill level to enjoy working up this quilt. Patterns from Hand Madiya
20. Bunch Flower Quilt Pattern
The Bloomin’ Blossoms Quilt is yet another quilt design paying homage to springtime flowers. Its cheerful color palette is just the perfect reminder we all need on some long winter days. Patterns from I Love Quilting Forever
21. Flower Basket Quilt Pattern
The Coryn Flower Basket quilt pattern is a treat for beginners. The different blocks in this printable pattern come together beautifully. One features a flower with a striking border, the other has a plain, white background, and the other is based on light brown fabric contrasting with a lighter hue. Patterns from Windham Fabrics
23. Tulips Quilt Block Pattern
Get the Triple Tulips Play Quilt Block pattern to show you how to make 3 different tulip quilts. You know you can’t go wrong with tulips. Paired with solid contrasting backdrops, these quilts look lovely on a wall. Patterns from Missouri Quilt Co.
24. Garden Quilt Pattern
The ‘Almost a Flower Garden’ Quilt Pattern is an eye candy for lovers of vintage designs. With this pattern, you can add a classic quilt to your collection. Give it a try if you have meant to create something floral for your home. Free Flower Quilt Patterns from Darlene Zimmerman
25. Spring Bloom Block Quilt Pattern
26. Flower Wreath Quilt Pattern
Get your hands on some exquisite fabric to put together the lovely Flower Wreath Quilt. This classic circular design has an unprecedented charm that one can’t go wrong with. It is a step-by-step tutorial that offers diagrams to make it easier to reproduce. Patterns from Tilda's World
26. Fan Flower Quilt Pattern
The pretty Fan Flower Quilt uses some delightful fabrics with cheerful colors. If you enjoy experimenting with color palettes to make some signature projects, then the Fan Flower Quilt is calling your name. Bookmark it if you can’t get to it right away. Patterns from Tilda's World
27. Flower Shop Quilt Pattern
10 Tips for Sewing Flower Quilt Patterns
Sewing flower quilt patterns can be a delightful and rewarding project. Here are some tips to help you create a beautiful flower quilt:
- Fabric Selection: Consider using a mix of solids and prints. Floral prints can add an extra touch to your flower quilt. Mix in other patterns.
- Pattern Selection: Various flower quilt patterns are available, ranging from simple to complex. If you're a beginner, start with a simpler design. A
- Fabric Colors: Plan your color scheme carefully. Think about how different colors work together and the overall look you're aiming for.
- Use Templates: For complex flower shapes, use or create templates. This ensures that your pieces are uniform and fit together perfectly.
- Precision Cutting: When cutting your fabric, use a rotary cutter and a quilting ruler to ensure straight, clean cuts.
- Appliqué Techniques: If your pattern includes appliqué, decide whether you want to hand appliqué or machine appliqué.
- Stitch Length: Use a shorter stitch length for more control and a neater finish, especially when sewing curves and intricate parts.
- Press as you go: This helps maintain the shape and ensures that seams lie flat.
- Quilting: When it comes to quilting, consider a design that complements the flower pattern. You might quilt around the flower shapes to make them 'pop' or use a contrasting design in the background.
- Binding: Choose a quilt binding that frames your quilt nicely. A contrasting binding can make the quilt’s colors stand out.
Free Flower Quilt Patterns – In Conclusion
Flower Quilts are timeless and loved by almost everyone. You are sure to receive tons of compliments for the ones you will make with these flower quilt patterns, but most special is the sense of accomplishment that you will feel.