Learn how to make a doll pillow with a fast and easy tutorial. Every doll needs its own bed pillows and these are suitable for beginner sewers. After you have made the doll pillows I have more tutorials to show you how to make pillowcases for them. Make a whole bedding set.
How to Make a Doll Pillow
The 18’’ Doll Bedding pattern has four simple pieces for you to make – the doll’s mattress, the blanket, a pillow insert and 2 styles of pillowcases. Teddy or dolly will look really relaxed in their neat little bed.
You will have great fun creating these bedding accessories while using up scraps from your fabric collection. Remember to add in a bedtime story – Goldilocks and the three bears is always my favorite!
See all the tutorials in my free doll bedding sewing pattern series
Shop Sewing Patterns by Treasurie
- PART 1 – Doll Pillow Pattern
- PART 2 – Free Doll Pillowcase Pattern – 2 styles
- PART 3 – Free Doll Mattress Sewing Pattern
- PART 4 – Free Doll Blanket Sewing Pattern
Supplies For Making a Doll Pillow
What you will need for how to make a doll pillow
- STUFFING – Polyester stuffing. If you don’t have polyester stuffing, cut up fabric scraps really small and use that instead.
- FABRIC – Cotton woven fabric. I used a plain fabric since I was going to be covering the pillow with pillowcases. If you don’t want to make pillowcases as well then use a pretty fabric to match your blanket and pillow.
- BASICS – Hand sewing needle, thread and a sewing machine.
How to Make a Doll Pillow – Instructions
Step 1 – Cut the Fabric
Cut 2 pieces of fabric 6 1/2 inches (16.5cm) by 10 1/2 inches (26.6cm).
Step 2 – Stitch the Seam
Put the fabric with RIGHT sides together and stitch around 1/4 inch (6mm) from the edge leaving a 2 inch (5cm) gap on one of the longer sides. If you don’t have a sewing machine handy you could even do this with a small backstitch.
Step 3 – Clip and Turn
Clip the corners and then turn the pillow the right way out and give it a good press. Make sure the corners are well poked out and looking nice and square.
The seam allowance should be pressed in at the gap.
Step 4 – Stuffing
Stuff your pillow with the polyester filling. It is easiest to break it into small pieces than to push a large amount in at one time.
How to Make a Doll Pillow – In Conclusion
The pillow is now just perfect. In proportion with the bed and mattress, it is part of the complete set that will support the finishing touches to the bedding. Remember that you need just the right amount of gentle stuffing to create the soft pillow that sweet dreams are made of.
All finished with the pillow insert. Now on to making doll pillowcases! You can see them in the photo below. My tutorial shows you a doll pillowcase with and without the border.
Don’t forget to make your 18-inch doll some pajamas with my pajama sewing pattern