Learn how to sew an infinity scarf. These simple scarfs are a just loop of fabric that you can twist around your neck or wear long. They are typically made from soft fabrics sewn into a tube and have no visible seams on the outside. DIY infinity scarfs are sewn from a long rectangle of fabric and are an ideal sewing project for beginners.
How to Sew an Infinity Scarf, Free Infinity Scarf Sewing Pattern
In cooler weather, the first thing I notice is a cold neck! This infinity scarf sewing pattern will keep you warm and add some style and individuality to your outfit. Infinity scarves are sewn in a circle and twisted around your neck. They are the perfect sewing project if you are a beginner since all seams will be hidden inside.
Most of you will be able to sew this scarf in 15 minutes. It will take you longer just to choose the perfect fabric! Using just one yard of fabric, making your own will save you a lot of money compared to what these sell for in the stores.
Supplies for Sewing an Infinity Scarf
- For Stretch - Stretch needles are necessary to prevent skipped stitches. An alternative for fabrics with a low stretch factor is a ballpoint needle.
- For Woven - Universal needles in an appropriate size.
- PRESSER FOOT
- For Stretch - Teflon foot or walking foot. These specialty feet can make sewing stretch fabric easier but if you don't have one, use your regular all-purpose presser foot.
- For Woven - All-purpose foot
- SEWING MACHINE - Your machine should do a simple zig-zag stitch in order to sew stretch fabric. For woven fabric, all you need is a straight stitch. While a serger is an amazing tool for sewing stretch fabric and finishing seams, it is not necessary for this project.
- GENERAL SUPPLIES - Pins, thread, ruler, scissors or rotary cutter, and cutting mat. Your thread should match your fabric and be a similar fiber content.
Fabric to Use for an Infinity Scarf
The best thing about this infinity scarf sewing pattern is that you can use woven fabric or stretch fabrics.
- Stretch fabric - Jersey knit or soft knit fabric.
- Soft woven fabric - Cotton voile, flannel, fine wool, rayon, fine linen that drapes. This green sample was made in soft rayon fabric.
Generally, lightweight fabric works best and enables you to comfortably twist the scarf around your neck. Choose a fabric that breathes, such as cotton or rayon.
If you want to save money, try upcycling on an old t-shirt, shirt, or bedding item. The advantage of upcycling is that the item is often already soft and pre-washed. Flannel makes a soft and cozy infinity scarf.
How Much Fabric Do You Need to Sew an Infinity Scarf?
Purchase 1 yard (0.90m) of soft stretch fabric or woven fabric with drape for your infinity scarf sewing pattern. (Read more about fabric drape). The width of the fabric should be 36 inches minimum. For a longer scarf, purchase 50 inch fabric.
How to Sew an Infinity Scarf for Beginners
Here are the instructions for how to make an infinity scarf.
Preparation Before Sewing an Infinity Scarf Pattern
It is especially important when making a DIY infinity scarf that you pre-wash your fabric. Stretch, in particular, is prone to shrinkage, and you don't want to go to all that effort sewing only to find it is too small after the first wash.
Check the laundry symbols and suggestions on the fabric bolt. If you don't have access to that information, I suggest you hand wash your fabric in cool or lukewarm water with a mild detergent. Test a scrap first, as always.
Step 1 - Cutting the Rectangle
- Cut your yard in half lengthwise so you have 2 rectangles 36 x 22 inches (90x56cm).
- Put the fabric rectangles with right sides together and stitch the shorter ends with a ⅜ inch (1cm) seam. You now have a long piece of fabric, approximately 2 yards (1.8m) by 22 inches (56cm).
It is best to cut the selvage off the fabric so it doesn't show in your finished scarf. Selvages also don't stretch as much as the main fabric so can result in puckering along the seam. Otherwise, increase the seam allowances so it is hidden inside the seams.
How to Make an Infinity Scarf with no Center Seam
Alternatively, if you have a 2 yard (180cm) piece of fabric, you could just cut a long strip of 22 inches (56cm). However, this can be a little wasteful as you will be only using half the fabric so it is often better to use the 1-yard (90cm)piece of fabric and add a seam.
Step 2 - How to Sew an Infinity Scarf Tube
- Fold the long rectangle in half lengthwise with right sides together, so you now have a tube 11 inches by 2 yards long (28cmx180cm).
- Stitch with a ⅜ inch (1cm) seam allowance. If you are using a stretch fabric, stitch with a narrow zig-zag stitch or stretch stitch. For woven fabrics, use a straight stitch. There is no need to finish the seam.
- Fold your tube back inside itself with the right sides together. This means you will have a shorter tube with the raw edges matching at the top. The easiest way to do this is to put your hand through the middle of the tube, grab the far end and bring your hand back through the tube until the ends match.
- Stitch around the opening of the tube leaving a 2 inch (5cm) gap.
Step 3 - Close the Gap
- Turn the tube to the right side through the gap.
- Using a slip stitch, close the gap. Slip stitch forms an invisible seam, particularly when sewn in a matching color thread.
- Give your infinity scarf a final press and you are all ready to wear it.
Wearing an Infinity Scarf
If you have ironed the fabric flat, puff it up again. This is important as it generally doesn't look good if it is flat. Twist it around like an infinity symbol and double it over. It is now ready to place around your neck.
Decorating an Infinity Scarf Pattern
There are many ways you can decorate your infinity scarf:
- Cut the initial long 2 yard rectangle in half and use contrasting fabrics
- Add pom pom trim along the edges
- Add lace trim along the edges
- Adjust the width or length of the scarf.
How to Sew an Infinity Scarf FAQs
How many times do you twist an infinity scarf?
Usually, you twist an infinity scarf twice. Any more tends to get a bit thick and heavy for your neck.
What is the length of an infinity scarf?
The average length of a fabric infinity scarf is 60-70 inches.
How to Make a Yarn Infinity Scarf
More Infinity Scarf Patterns
How to Sew an Infinity Scarf - In Conclusion
Now you know how to sew an infinity scarf you can make lots in every color of the rainbow. This short and easy project is very satisfying and an easy use of one yard of fabric.
How to Sew an Infinity Scarf
- Sewing Basics
- 1 Yard Soft Fabric
- Cut your yard in half lengthwise so you have 2 rectangles 36 x 22 inches (90x56cm). Put the fabric rectangles with right sides together and stitch the shorter ends with a ⅜ inch (1cm) seam.
- Fold the long rectangle in half lengthwise with right sides together, so you now have a tube 11 inches by 2 yards long (28cmx180cm). Stitch with a ⅜ inch (1cm) seam allowance.
- Fold your tube back inside itself with right sides together. This means you will have a shorter tube with the raw edges matching at the top. Stitch around the opening of the tube leaving a 2 inch (5cm) gap.T urn the tube to the right side through the gap.
- Using a slip stitch, close the gap. Slip stitch forms an invisible seam particularly when sewn in a matching color thread.Give your infinity scarf a final press and you are all ready to wear it.