You can learn how to make bunting with this great tutorial that includes a free printable bunting template for 3 shapes. Bunting is a fun way to decorate kid’s rooms, market stalls and tables at craft fairs. And what garden wedding would be complete without pretty vintage-looking bunting in the background?
Because the bunting created in this tutorial is stitched and double-sided, it can be washed and put away for future use.
How to Make Bunting: Supplies
- Fabric – Cotton fabric will always look crisp and nice. Check your scrap basket for all your leftover pieces and make your bunting cheaply! Make colorful choices – using several coordinating fabrics looks great.
- Bias – 1/2 inch (12mm) double-fold bias tape (how to make double fold bias) or 1 inch (5cm) wide ribbon. Cotton twill tape can also be a very economical choice when you have to make large amounts of bunting.
- Basic sewing supplies – your sewing machine, ruler, scissors, thread, iron (Beginners sewing kit on a budget)
Printable Bunting Template
No need to worry about making your own pattern – I have a printable bunting template with 3 shapes and 3 sizes for each. That’s an amazing 9 options for you to choose from.
Shop Sewing Patterns by Treasurie
Alternatively, you can draw a triangle or flag shape of your choice and use the same sewing instructions included below. Don’t forget to add some seam allowance to the sides.
How to Make Bunting: The Video
I’ve been busy this week making this video for you. It is just a few minutes long so have a look at how easy it is to make with your bunting template. Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel for weekly sewing and craft videos.
How to Make Bunting: INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1: Cutting
Start by drawing around your template with chalk or removable pen. If you have a fabric that doesn’t have a nap or one-way design, you can save fabric by interlocking the triangle shapes. This doesn’t work for fabrics with one-way designs as your design will be facing in different directions.
Cut out your shapes. You will need 2 pieces per flag (one for the front and one for the back). How many you cut will depend on how long you need your bunting to be and how large a gap you will put between each flag. You can lay the pieces out roughly to work out how it will look.
TIP: Cut through several layers at a time and interlock the triangles so you don’t waste fabric.
Step 2: Stitch the Edges
Place 2 pieces with right sides together. With a 1/4 inch (6mm) seam allowance, stitch around the sides and bottom leaving the top open.
Step 3: Clip
Clip any corners. (Read – Clipping Corners )
Step 4: Turn and Press
Turn the flag the right way out and give it a good press.
You can use your scissors or something sharp (but not too sharp) to get a nice sharp point at the bottom.
If your flags are not sitting flat you can topstitch the edges. I used quilting cotton fabric for my samples and found topstitching wasn’t necessary.
Now all ready for the tape!
Step 5: Attach the Bias
If you are using double folded bias for the tape, then open up the bias and slip the raw edge of the flag inside up to the fold. Pin it in place.
If you are using ribbon, fold in half so it encases the raw edges. Make sure the edges are matched up on either side of the ribbon. Place your flags 1 -2 inches (2.5-5cm) apart depending on your taste and the distance you need to cover.
Step 6: Stitch the Edge of the Bias
Stitch all the way along the edge of the bias or ribbon. Use a zig-zag stitch of width 3.0 and length 3.0 as this will catch in all the edges of your bias and ribbon and be much more durable than a straight stitch.
All finished learning how to make bunting and ready to hang!
Bunting TEMPLATE: Design ideas
- Use the bunting template to mix and match different sizes and shapes of flags.
- Add lace or pom-pom trim to the edges. (How to sew lace trim, How to sew pom-pom trim)
- Monogram the flag pieces before you sew them up to create a message such as “Merry Christmas”, “Mr & Mrs” or “Congratulations”
Now you know how to make bunting with this bunting template, you’ll be making them in every color!