You put so much thought, love and effort into choosing the perfect present so why not learn how to make gift bags from fabric to put it in.
My sister can gift wrap presents worthy of photographing and splashing all over Pinterest but my paper wrapping abilities are a bit of an ongoing family joke. So this year I’m making fabric gift bags for all my presents which are sure to impress.
These fabric gift bags don’t take long to make and are great for reducing your ever growing scrap fabric piles.
Don’t forget to check out some of my other scrap fabric sewing projects.
Here are the finished sizes of the gift bags
- Small – great for jewelry and small items – size 5.25″ W x x 6.75″ H (13.5x17cm)
- Medium – fits scarves, small books or notepads – size 7.75″ W x 8.75″ H (19.5x22cm)
- Large – fits small clothing items eg a t-shirt -size 11.25″ W x 11.75″ H (28.5×28.5cm)
- Long – fits a wine bottle – size 5.25″ W x 14.75″ H (13.5×37.5cm)
How to Make a Gift Bag: Supplies
- Cotton Fabric – small, medium and long can be cut from a fat quarter. See exact cutting dimensions below
- 3/8 inch (1cm) wide ribbon
- Safety pin for threading the ribbon
How to Make Gift Bags: The Video
Check out this YouTube video I made for you. All my videos are quick and to the point, as I know you are juggling a million things. Thanks for watching 🙂 Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel for weekly craft and sewing videos.
How to Make Gift Bags from Fabric
Step 1: Cut your fabric in the following sizes.
- Small – cut 11 x 8 inches ( 28 x 20.5cm)
- Medium – cut 16 x 10 inches (40.5 x 25.5cm)
- Large – cut 23 x 13 inches (58.5 x 33cm)
- Long – cut 11 x 16 inches (28 x 40.5cm)
Step 2: On the wrong side, press over the top edge by 1/4 inch (6mm). Press over top again by 3/4 inch (2cm). Gently unfold your pressed edge.
- small – press the 11-inch edge
- medium – press the 16-inch edge
- large – press the 23-inch edge
- long – press the 11-inch edge
Step 3: Fold your fabric in half with the right sides together so the pressed edge is at the top. Pin in place and mark 1 inch (2.5cm) from the top (in the crease) and 1 3/4 inches (4.5cm) down.
Step 4: With a 1/4 inch (6mm) seam allowance, stitch from the top to the 1 inch (2.5cm) mark. Backstitch well. Leave a 3/4″ (2cm) gap and continue stitching from the 1 3/4 inch (4.5cm) mark all the way down to the bottom and across as shown.
Step 5: Clip the bottom corner.
Step 6: At the top where the gap is, open up the seam with your fingers. Fold the pressed edge back down. Pin all the way around.
Step 7: On the wrong side, stitch around the folded edge to form a casing.
Step 8: Turn the bag to the right side and give it a good press
Step 9: Thread the ribbon through the hole in the casing with a safety pin.
Step 10: Knot the ends of the ribbon together and cut the ends at an angle to minimize fraying. Read how to stop ribbon from fraying.
And that’s it! All you need to do is to add your gift and hide it away until the perfect moment.
If you enjoyed this how to make gift bags from fabric tutorial, what about trying a DIY felt gift bag.