Looking for pincushion patterns? Happy Valentines Day Freebie! Feel like spoiling yourself or someone who loves to sew? This week’s tutorial shows you how to make this adorable felt pincushion with a sewing machine applique.
- Wool or acrylic felt in contrast colors. You can purchase felt squares from your local haberdashery or craft shop. Etsy also has a great supply of felt sellers.
- A couple of handfuls of polyester filling for stuffing your pincushion.
- Matching threads. You can use embroidery threads or just ordinary machine thread.
Printing and Assembling Pattern Pieces
Download and print your pincushion patterns by clicking on the image below. A new window will open. When printing your pattern pieces, make sure that your printers “page scaling” is set to “none” and “auto center and rotate” is checked. The pattern pieces print on 8.5” x 11”(letter) or A4 paper. You can check your pattern has printed in the correct size by measuring the one inch (2.5cm) test square.
Types of Stitches
These are some of the stitches you will use to make your pincushion. If you are new to hand sewing and are not sure how to do these stitches, please read the below articles for step by step instructions.
- 6 Basic Hand Stitches
- How to Sew a Seam by Hand – Running Stitch and Backstitch
- How to Sew Whip Stitch
- How to Backstitch
- How to Sew Blanket Stitch
- How to Sew a Ladder Stitch for an Invisible Closure
PINCUSHION PATTERNS INSTRUCTIONS
3. Stitch the applique on the TOP piece of the pin cushion in the position marked on the pattern.
Use a whip stitch, blanket stitch or running stitch. The red thread and black needle was stitched using a back stitch.
5. Turn the pincushion over and stitch the BOTTOM to the SIDE piece. You will need to leave a 1 ½ inch (4cm) gap to feed the stuffing through. Leave the thread and needle still attached
6. Stuff your pincushion through the gap. Be careful not to overstuff the pincushion or it will look more like a ball!
7. Stitch the gap closed with the still attached thread.
8. If your pincushion is not sitting flat you can put a couple of stitches through the center starting at the bottom and going through the top and back down.
Congratulations on another great project you have completed! You can now admire your handiwork every time you reach for a pin.
Click here for more free sewing patterns by My Childhood Treasures