Using a rolled hem foot (also called a narrow hem foot) is a fast and easy way to get a perfect narrow hem suitable for sheer fabrics and curved hemlines. Most machines come with one but if yours hasn’t you can pick one up quite cheaply.
Why Use a Rolled Hem Foot?
- It is faster than pressing hems and then straight stitching
- The hems created are neat and even
- You can use your rolled hem foot for sheer fabrics which would be impossible to press hems into.
(Don’t have a rolled hem foot yet? Read how to sew a narrow hem without a rolled hem foot.)
Types of Rolled Hem FOOT
The most common type of rolled hem foot is a 1/8 inch (3mm) seam width.
They also come in a 1/4 inch size.
If you are trying to sew a curved hem then you will get the best results from the smaller hem size.
How to Use a Rolled Hem Foot
Start by finger pressing the end over twice by 1/8 inch (3mm). Hold it in place with a pin placed horizontally.
You will want to fold over the first 3 inches (8cm).
Lower the presser foot on your fabric and remove the pin. Stitch 4 stitches while holding the threads to prevent it from catching underneath.
After your 4 stitches, stop with the needle down in the fabric.
Lift up the foot and insert the folded fabric into the curl of the foot.
Start stitching again.
As you stitch along it helps to gently hold the edge out slightly folded.
Look what a neat edge this gives you!
Now that you have mastered how to use your rolled hem machine foot why not try these 2 easy techniques for creating a rolled hem with your regular foot.
Do you have any extra tips to share? Comment below.
PIN THIS IMAGE FOR LATER 🙂
MORE READING: HOW TO SEW HEMS
- PART 1 – GENERAL HEMS – 5 Types of Hems
- PART 2 – NARROW HEMS – How to sew a narrow rolled hem – with your regular foot
- PART 3 – NARROW HEMS – How to use a rolled hem machine foot
- PART 4 – WIDE HEMS – How to sew wide hems 5 ways
- PART 5 – CIRCULAR HEMS – How to sew circular hems
- PART 6 – BLIND HEMS – How to sew a blind hem with a blind hem foot
- PART 7 – LETTUCE HEMS – How to sew lettuce hems