Here are 67+ free sewing projects for beginners. Starting out on any new sewing project can be a bit daunting but if you get guidance to try the right pieces, you will soon find you are enjoying a new hobby and are learning new skills as you go along. Success breeds more success, so take time to try out some of these sewing projects for beginners as you learn to sew.
Want to learn how to sew? Where do you begin?
A well-known song from The Sound of Music says…. start at the very beginning, a very good place to start!
- When you read you begin with ABC,
- When you sing you begin with DohRayMe,
- When you sew you begin with Sewing Projects for Beginners…..
Sewing Projects for Beginners
Sewing and the enjoyment you get from learning a few simple techniques are so rewarding. A new hobby and making a great gift for friends or some soft furnishings for your home will always bring a sense of pride and joy. Who knows this could be the start of a new business – your own homegrown approach to what began as a beginner’s steps to success.
When you are starting to learn to sew, you want quick, easy sewing projects that don't use a lot of fabric. Here I have put together a list of inspiration and sewing projects for beginners perfect for getting you started.
Best of all these are all FREE patterns!
Sewing Projects for Beginners VIDEO
Did you know I have a YouTube channel with sewing projects for beginners and sewing tips? You can learn new sewing skills as you go along and don't forget to search my sewing blog if there is a new technique that you are not sure about. Nearly all of the tutorials featured in this article have accompanying videos that will really help you if you are a visual learner.
What you will Need for Easy Beginner Sewing Projects
At a minimum, when sewing projects for beginners, you will need your sewing machine, some pins, a ruler, scissors and of course fabric.
Sewing machines don't need to be fancy. Some of the old-fashioned machines that only do a straight stitch, sew beautifully. And if your machine does a zig-zag stitch, then bonus - you can sew some stretch fabric items.
Before you Start
If you are not yet confident to start sewing, then have a read of my article SEWING 101 for a refresher on all the basics.
Popular topics for beginners include:
Sewing Projects for Beginners 67+ Ideas
I have broken these sewing projects for beginners into sections to make them easier for you. What do you feel like sewing?
- Home Decor
- Hair Accessory
- Kids Patterns
- Doll Patterns
- Gift Patterns
- Seasonal Patterns
- Accessory Patterns
- Personal Sewing for You
Home Decor Sewing Projects for Beginners
The best thing about sewing projects for beginners in the home decor category is that there are no sizing issues to worry about, unlike clothing. If you can straight stitch then you can definitely make most of these items.
If you have never sewn anything before, then start with the 10-minute envelope cushion cover. It might take you a little longer than 10 minutes the first time but it is one of the easiest things you can make. The back features a fold-over flap so you don't need to worry about fiddly zippers or buttons.
Another really easy item for beginners to start with is the reversible napkins. You will just be sewing a square and then turning it the right way out. It doesn't get much easier than that.
Imagine transforming your house with things you have made. You can make new cushion covers, a pillow cover, curtains, napkins and decorative items. You will be so proud! While curtains are one of the easiest projects you can do, start with small items that don't take much fabric while you hone your skills. One thing you don't want to do when you start is waste too much fabric. Buy cheap fabric and test your skills first.
PILLOWS & CUSHIONS
These sewing projects for beginners will show you how to make lots of pillows and cushions.
- How to Make a Pillowcase with a French Seam
- How to Make a Cushion Cover – Envelope Style
- How to Make a Doll Pillowcase
- Make a Cushion Cover with Piping
- Star Pillow Pattern
- Travel Pillow Pattern
- DIY Pom Pom Pillows
- Neck Pillow for Travel
- Christmas Pillow
MORE HOME DECOR
- Bunting Template Pattern
- DIY Kids Napkins (reversible and smaller)
- How to Make Fabric Baskets (3 sizes)
- Napkins with Mitered Corners
- How to Make Curtains
- How to Make a Tablecloth
- How to Make a Table Runner
- How to Make a Hand Towel
- Reversible Placemats
Hair Accessory Sewing Projects for Beginners
Hair accessories take only a scrap of fabric so are great for learning to sew. If you make a mistake, just grab another scrap! You can mix and match fabrics and save money by purchasing fat quarters which are small squares of fabric.
By far the most popular item to make are scrunchies. With just a rectangle of fabric, you can make a colorful fashion statement and save your hair from splitting at the same time. Bows, flowers, and ribbons can be glued to lined alligator clips for a professional look.
- How to Make a Ribbon Bow (double bow)
- How to Make Fabric Hair Accessories (10+ styles)
- Lined Alligator Clips
- Felt Bow with Printable Template
- How to Make Fabric Bows (small size)
- DIY Felt Bow
- How to Make a Scrunchie
- How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Cloth Flower Making
- DIY Hair Ties (vintage style)
Free Kids Patterns for Beginners
The best thing about sewing for kids (besides being the envy of the other parents at school pick-ups) is that they don't need much fabric. My daughter always proudly tells people "My Mummy made this" when asked about her lovely dresses.
One of the most popular items in my girl's list of sewing projects for beginners is the free pillowcase dress pattern. I would rate this level beginner who has made a couple of items. The pattern includes girls sizes 2 to 10 and a printable pattern.
Babies' clothing needs even less fabric and because they are so small, it takes a lot less time. If you are a beginner and need to sew for yourself or a new Mum, then I recommend you give the burp cloth pattern a try. Make it from quilting cotton on the top and some soft flannel underneath.
FREE GIRLS PATTERNS
- Kimono Pattern for Girls (girls size 2 to 10)
- Dance Shrug for Girls (girls size 2 to 14 - printable pattern pieces)
- Girls Skirt Pattern (Rabbit applique skirt)
- Tutu Skirt Pattern (2 layer skirt with tulle)
- Hair Bow Pattern (oversized felt bow)
- Free Capelet Pattern (vintage style)
- Tooth Fairy Pattern (a must for all young kids losing teeth)
- Pillowcase Dress Pattern (most popular pattern and perfect outfit for girls 2 to 10)
- DIY Bikini Bottom
FREE BABY PATTERNS
- Burp Cloth Pattern (3 styles including rectangle and 2 contoured)
- Baby Blanket Pattern (numerous sizes)
- Baby Skirt Pattern (gives measurements for any size)
Doll Sewing Projects for Beginners
The first thing I ever sewed when I was seven, was a doll skirt. Doll's clothing and projects are great for teaching kids to sew too and don't use much fabric. Dolls are also very forgiving and not fussy if your seams are a little crooked or the inside looks messy!
If you have never sewn before, start with the doll bedding as it is all just straight stitching with nothing fancy. The plain pillow is just a rectangle and the easiest to make.
- How to Make Doll Pillows (stuffed pillow)
- How to Make a Doll Mattress (to fit any sized doll bed)
- How to Make a Doll Blanket (quilted)
- Doll Pillowcase (2 styles - plain and with a border)
Sewing Projects for Gifts and Yourself
Make yourself something fun or sew these beginner sewing projects for a gift. Imagine how proud you will be to pull out a cardholder that you have made yourself. Or get some much-needed extra sleep after you have sewed your first sleep mask.
And don't forget your furry friend. I have a free dog bandana pattern for you to make that is suitable for beginners.
- Mouse Mat (decorate your home office in style)
- Phone Cover Pattern
- Scented Hearts (put them in your drawers for a nice smell)
- Dog Bandana Pattern (4 sizes to fit your dog)
- Circle Skirt Pattern
Make your sewing room look fancy and admire your work as you sew with DIY pincushions. Here are 4 styles you can sew.
- Mason Jar pin cushion (recycle old jars into a pin cushion)
- DIY Pincushion – round (segment style)
- How to make a pincushion – Patchwork
- Pincushion Patterns (felt with a sewing machine motif)
Christmas & Seasonal Crafts
Sewing seasonal projects make me happy and are a great way to involve the whole family. If you are looking for a sewing project for beginners then I don't think you can go past the fabric gift bags. They are so easy and will make your presents look amazing.
- Christmas Tshirt Applique (the applique can go on other items too)
- Tree Coasters (impress your guests with fancy drink coasters)
- Christmas Cushion Cover (add some cheer to your lounge)
- Felt Gift Bags (great for Christmas and birthdays for small items)
- Fabric Gift Bags (this pattern has 4 sizes including a wine bag)
- Bunting Template (2 shapes including triangle, flag and rectangle)
- Easter Rabbit Skirt Pattern (has full-sized printable pattern for girls 2-10)
Accessory Sewing Projects for Beginners
We all love a free bag or purse sewing pattern! With no worries about sizing, you can turn these patterns into amazing gifts for your friends or even make lots to match your favorite outfits. If you are an absolute beginner, try the tissue covers as these are really easy and quick to make.
One of the most popular accessory patterns for beginners is the zipper pouch tutorial. This lined pouch can be made in any size and is a good introduction to sewing zippers. Just make sure you have a zipper foot for your sewing machine.
Leave the vinyl/leather marked ones until you are a beginner with a few projects completed.
- DIY Coin Purse (these mini purses can attach to your keychain)
- Scottie Dog Purse Tutorial (vinyl/leather pattern)
- Stary Sky Clutch Tutorial (vinyl/leather pattern)
- Makeup Brush Roll Pattern (great for storing pens too)
- Zipper Pouch Tutorial (fabric basic pouch with lined interior)
- How to Sew a Zipper Pocket (to put inside your bags)
- Triangle Pouch Pattern (vinyl/leather pattern)
- Sunshine Clutch Pattern (vinyl/leather pattern)
- Wrist Straps
MORE ACCESSORY PATTERNS
- Tissue Cover Pattern (fits standard small packet)
- Phone Cover Pattern (recycle T-shirts into a cover)
- Cardholder Pattern (will hold standard business cards)
- How to Make an Infinity Scarf
- Drawstring Bag
Sewing Projects for Beginners - In Conclusion
Start at the beginning of your sewing projects for beginners and see where the journey takes you! One small step for Neil Armstrong took him to the moon, who knows where you could go with taking the first steps with a needle and a thread!
Now that you know how to sew lots of sewing projects for beginners, you might be thinking about making a little money from all your hard work. Here are some articles that might help. Start a great project for a beginner sewer today!