If you have been looking at some of my great leotard patterns, swimsuit patterns or unitard patterns then now is a great time to start sewing. The first thing you need to start sewing spandex and lycra is some amazing dance or swimwear fabric with at least 75% stretch factor.
Lycra comes in a wide color range and amounts of stretch. The materials are often textured and may come even with sequins or glitter. There are plain colors and patterns.
SEWING SPANDEX AND LYCRA
Tips for Buying Spandex/Lycra for Leotards and Swimwear
- Look for fabrics that are thicker and don’t need lining where possible
- Always stretch the fabric slightly and hold it up to the light to see if it is transparent when stretched. Dark colors, in particular, can be deceiving.
- If your fabric is transparent when held up to the light then add some swimwear lining to your construction.
- If you are a beginner then beware of metallic sequins or hologram finishes on some of the fabrics as they are a little harder to sew. This can be helped by using a stretch needle.
LYCRA/SPANDEX FABRIC SHOPS
Here is a list of fabric shops that sell swimwear and dance fabric that was compiled with the help of some of my customers that sew leotards regularly. If you have any more to add please leave a note in the comments below.
- Fabric Fairy
- Spoonflower – here you can design your own fabric and choose to have it made in a swim fabric
- Peekaboo Fabric Shop on Etsy
- Fabric Depot
- Spandex World
- Glitter and Dance
- Shine Trimmings Fabrics
- The Fabric Fox
- The Remnant Warehouse
- Trimmings and Remnants
- Opening Night Supplies
- Fusion Fabrics for Dancers
READ MORE ON HOW TO SEW SPANDEX FABRIC