Here are simple sewing techniques and projects to get you started in a great new hobby. Sewing can be easy when you choose the right project and is so rewarding when you can tell your friends and family “I made that”. If you have a sewing machine, there are so many things you can make with a simple straight stitch. And if you don’t have a machine, there are several simple hand stitches that will allow you to get great results. The Treasurie blog has nearly 400 how to sew articles for beginners to get you started. This tutorial will show you some free patterns you can try.
Here are the answers to some questions you might be asking yourself.
Is Sewing Easy?
Yes it is! Do a happy dance now. Like all hobbies you need to start with easy projects and then slowly build your skills but the basics of simple sewing are really easy to learn. Best of all there are so many online resources like this blog to help you on your way.
Can I Learn Sewing Online?
Like many new hobbies, sewing is perfect for learning online. There is a huge amount of free resources and videos to get you started. This blog now has almost 400 sewing tutorials so no matter which skill you are looking for there will be something for you.
It can be a little daunting to know as a beginner which simple sewing techniques to start with so here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Sewing 101 – Beginners Guide to Sewing
- How to Sew (great article for complete beginners)
- How to Thread a Sewing Machine | Step by Step
- How to Wind a Bobbin | BEST Beginners Guide
- How to Use a Sewing Machine
Did you know that Treasurie has a Youtube channel with lots of simple sewing tutorials and projects?
Simple Sewing – Tools
When you start simple sewing you will need some basic tools. Don’t go overboard when you are starting and check out the kits at your local sewing shop as this can save you money.
- Sewing Machine – sewing machines vary in prices and functions so read my article on the best sewing machine for your budget. If you are buying a new machine, look for a combination of stitch types and functions vs price. It can be tempting to go with the machine with the most stitches but keep in mind that you will not use most of these.
- Sewing Kit Basics – Read my article on sewing tools to find out the basics of your kit. You will need measuring tapes, rulers, pins, needles, thread and sewing scissors. Also necessary is an unpicker.
- Sewing Machine Feet – Most machines come with a selection of feet and your most-used foot will be the all-purpose. This can be used for straight stitching.
Simple Sewing – Machine Techniques
Once you have your sewing machine all threaded and ready to go, you will need to practice on some scraps. Go slowly and practice your straight stitching on some gentle curves.
How to Sew with a Machine Articles –
What is the Easiest Thing to Sew?
The easiest things to sew have straight seams and take just a short amount of time to make so you don’t get frustrated. I think the easiest thing to sew is a simple cushion cover. Mostly you just sew in a square to make a cushion cover and next time someone admires the new cushion on your couch you can say “I made that!”.
My cushion cover tutorial has what is called an envelope back which means there is no tricky zippers or buttons. The back has a simple overlap with a straight edge where you can insert your cushion insert.
Simple Sewing Projects
There are many other simple sewing projects. Here are a few more suggestions:
How to Make a Scrunchie – What I like about making scrunchies is that it is all straight sewing and it only uses scraps of fabric. Make some extras to give your friends or sell at the local markets.
Pincushions are a great simple sewing project. Use some small scraps and learn how to straight stitch and sew a button. You can admire your work every time you reach for a pin.
Fabric Baskets are easy to make and can be used for kids storage, pot plants and your sewing room. You will learn how to use interfacing and create a box corner.
Learn how to make a lined zipper pouch with 4 rectangles of fabric. These easy purses have a top zipper to introduce you to a new skill.
A girl’s pillowcase dress pattern is a great introduction to sewing clothing. Easy ties at the shoulders, with an optional border at the bottom. Can you believe this pattern is free?
DIY hair ties are great simple sewing projects. Add a pop of color by using different fabrics on each side.
Burp cloths make a great present for the new mum or grandma. They protect your clothing from unwanted accidents and can be thrown in the wash over and over. This pattern has 3 different shapes.
More Simple Sewing Projects
All these simple sewing projects are free on my blog so give them a try before moving on to more advanced patterns.
PILLOWS & CUSHIONS
- How to Make a Pillowcase with a French Seam – These pillowcases have an enclosed seam so are extra durable.
- Make a Cushion Cover with Piping – Once you have made the basic cushion cover it is time to make a little fancier variation with piping around the outside. This is perfect for adding a pop of color to your creation.
- Star Pillow Pattern – Pillows don’t have to be rectangular! Make your favorite big or little star a personalized pillow.
- Travel Pillow Pattern – These crescent shaped pillows make travel a breeze.
- DIY Pom Pom Pillows – Another variation on the basic cushion cover is to add pom-poms.
- Christmas Pillow – Add a seasonal applique with this Christmas tree variation.
MORE HOME DECOR
- Bunting Template Pattern – Bunting is great for decorating kids rooms or for that special occasion such as a wedding.
- DIY Kids Napkins – Reversible napkins are easy to make for beginners and a great simple sewing idea.
- Napkins with Mitered Corners
- How to Make Curtains – While curtains use more fabric than many of these projects, they are easy to make with all straight sewing.
- Coaster Pattern – 3 shapes to decorate your table.
- How to Make a Ribbon Bow (Double bow)
- How to Make Fabric Hair Accessories (Tutorial with 10+ styles)
- Felt Bow with Printable Template
- How to Make Fabric Bows (Small size)
- DIY Felt Bow
- How to Make Fabric Flowers
- Cloth Flower Making
FREE GIRLS PATTERNS
- Kimono Pattern for Girls (Girls size 2 to 10)
- Dance Shrug for Girls (Girls size 2 to 14 – printable pattern pieces)
- Girls Skirt Pattern (Rabbit applique skirt)
- Tutu Skirt Pattern (2 layer skirt with tulle)
- Free Capelet Pattern (Vintage style)
- Pillowcase Dress Pattern (Most popular pattern for girls 2 to 10)
FREE BABY PATTERNS
- Burp Cloth Pattern (3 styles including rectangle and 2 contoured)
- Baby Blanket Pattern
- Baby Skirt Pattern (gives measurements for any size)
- How to Make Doll Pillows (stuffed pillow)
- How to Make a Doll Mattress (to fit any sized doll bed)
- How to Make a Doll Blanket (quilted)
- Doll Pillowcase (2 styles – plain and with a border)
MISCELLANEOUS SIMPLE SEWING
- Mouse Mat (decorate your home office in style)
- Phone Cover Pattern
- Scented Hearts (put them in your drawers for a nice smell)
- Dog Bandana Pattern (4 sizes to fit your dog)
- Tooth Fairy Pattern (a must for all young kids losing teeth)
Make your sewing room look fancy and admire your work as you sew with DIY pincushions. Here are 4 styles you can sew.
- Pincushion Patterns (felt with a sewing machine motif)Mason Jar pin cushion (recycle old jars into a pin cushion)
- DIY Pincushion – round (segment style)
- How to Make a Pincushion – Patchwork
- Christmas Tshirt Applique (the applique can go on other items too)
- Tree Coasters (impress your guests with fancy drink coasters)
- Christmas Cushion Cover (add some cheer to your lounge)
- Felt Gift Bags (great for Christmas and birthdays for small items)
- Fabric Gift Bags (this pattern has 4 sizes including a wine bag)
- Bunting Template (2 shapes including triangle, flag and rectangle)
EASTER SIMPLE SEWING
- Easter Rabbit Skirt Pattern (has full-sized printable pattern for girls 2-10)
- DIY Coin Purse (these mini purses can attach to your keychain)
- Scottie Dog Purse Tutorial (vinyl/leather pattern)
- Stary Sky Clutch Tutorial (vinyl/leather pattern)
- Makeup Brush Roll Pattern (great for storing pens too)
- Zipper Pouch Tutorial (fabric basic pouch with lined interior)
- How to Sew a Zipper Pocket (to put inside your bags)
- Triangle Pouch Pattern (vinyl/leather pattern)
- Sunshine Clutch Pattern (vinyl/leather pattern)
MORE ACCESSORY PATTERNS
- Tissue Cover Pattern (fits standard small packet)
- Phone Cover Pattern (recycle T-shirts into a cover)
- Cardholder Pattern (will hold standard business cards)
What are the Best Premium Sewing Patterns
Premium patterns are the next step up from the simple sewing free patterns and include multiple sizes. Well, I have a sewing pattern shop so of course, I am biased. But I am proud of the detail and clarity of my sewing patterns which are all in PDF format. This means you get the pattern with instant download so no running off to the shop. My patterns are modern, clear, and have great sizing options.
PDF sewing patterns are opened with the free program Adobe Reader and the pattern pieces can be printed on a regular home computer.
Here are some popular categories of sewing patterns.
- Girls Dresses
- Seasonal (Christmas)
- Free Patterns
- Bags and Purses
- Dolls Clothing and Rag Dolls
How to Make Money with Simple Sewing
Etsy, craft fairs, Amazon Handmade and the simplicity of having your own website have made it more attractive than ever to make money with simple sewing.
Simple Sewing – In Conclusion
Now you have some simple sewing tips you are all ready to make your first projects. Start small and work your way up and you will gain confidence and great skills.