Create a little bit of magic with this star pillow pattern that comes with a free printable template. Decorate it with a simple button or appliqué a letter and gift it to your favorite little (or big) star.
Star Pillow Pattern - Sizes
I have included 3 sizes of printable templates so you can mix and match. You can also use your printing scale function to create infinite size options.
Your star pillow pattern includes templates in the following sizes :
- 14" (35.5cm)
- 16" (40.5cm)
- 18" (46cm)
Star Pillow Pattern - Supplies
- FABRIC - ½ yard (0.9m) of cotton quilting or decorator fabric. Choose a fabric that is tightly woven. Small prints tend to look best.
- NEEDLE - Hand needle to sew the pillow closed after stuffing
- STUFFING - Polyester stuffing can be purchased cheaply from fabric and craft stores.
- Optional - Button or appliqué to decorate
- STAR PILLOW PATTERN - Click the link below to open a PDF with the pattern in a new window. DOWNLOAD PATTERN
If you are new to printing patterns, read my tutorial on how to print PDF patterns. The important thing to remember is that your printer scale needs to be 100%. This is sometimes worded slightly differently and may be - scale none, scale 100%, scale original.
Star Pillow Pattern - The Video
Watch this quick video showing how to make your star pillow pattern. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel for weekly sewing and craft videos.
Star Pillow Pattern - Instructions
Step 1 - Cutting
Cut 2 pieces of fabric from your template.
Step 2 - Mark Seam Allowance
Cut the paper template pattern back to the seam allowance and place it on your fabric to mark a stitching line. This will help you get a more accurate shape, particularly for the curves.
Step 3 - Stitching
Put the right sides together and stitch around with a ⅜ inch (1cm) seam allowance leaving a 2 inch (5cm) gap as shown. Make sure the gap is on one of the straight sections. If you don't have a sewing machine, you could use a hand sewn backstitch.
Step 4 - Clipping
Clip the corners and curves and turn the star the right way out. Clipping will give you sharper corners.
Step 5 - Press
Step 6 - Stuffing
Start stuffing! Use small balls to fill the points of the star first and then do the middle last. Make it nice and firm so the points won't sag.
Step 7 - Hand stitch Gap
Once you are happy with the amount of stuffing, close the gap with an invisible ladder stitch (slip stitch).
Step 8 - Decorate
Optional: sew a button on either side of the center. It gives a nice designer look to your pillow. Use a couple of 2 holes or 4 hole buttons and stitch through the center with a long needle. You need to pull fairly tightly.
Ready to make some more? They look really nice in a set.
More Pillow Tutorials
- Pillowcase Pattern
- How to Make A Pillowcase (with border)
- How to Make a Cushion Cover – Envelope Style
- Make a Cushion Cover with Piping
- Zippered Cushion Cover
- DIY Travel Neck Pillow
- DIY Star Pillow
- Pom Pom Pillows
- Patchwork Cushion
- Reading Pillow Pattern
- Pillow Patterns
- DIY Christmas Pillows
Star Pillow Pattern
- Sewing Basics sewing machine, needle, thread, scissors, pins
- Fabric ½ yard (0.45m)
- Polyester Stuffing
- Download the star pillow sewing pattern and gather your supplies.
- Cut out 2 stars and mark the seam allowance for accurate cutting. (optional - applique)
- Put the right sides together and stitch around with a ⅜ inch (1cm) seam allowance leaving a 2 inch (5cm) gap as shown. Make sure the gap is on one of the straight sections.
- Clip the corners and curves and turn the star the right way out. Press.
- Stuff the pillow and hand stitch the gap.
- Decorate with a butting on either side of the center.